Registration Guide

Q. How do I request accommodations?

  1. Click on the Accommodations link to get started
  2. Make sure the Term is correct (i.e. Fall Quarter 2015) and make changes as needed within the drop down menu.
  3. In the row for your course, click on the Request button.
  4. Verify your accommodations request in the left column.
  • All classroom and exam accommodation requests are auto checked.
  • Mobility and Assistive Technology accommodations do not need to be checked for each course.
  • Academic Letters (Minimum progress, Part-Time Status) need to be requested from your Specialist.
  1. Verify the courses you're requesting accommodations for.
  2. Indicate wether your accommodations are correct or if there are required changes.
  • If the accommodations are correct, they will be autoapproved and sent to your professor to review and confirm recieved.
  • Additional, removal, or changes to accommodation requests require Specialist approval.
  • Optional notes can be entered to inform your Specialist of your needs.
  1. Click on box for "I agree to the terms outlined above" and press the Submit button.
  2. You will be brought back to the accommodations page to verify the status of your request.
  • Sent - Your accommodation letter has been sent to your instructor and is awaiting Confirmation.
  • Confirmed - Your Accommodation Letter has been confirmed by your instructor.
  • Pending - Your advisor has update your accommodations.
  • Denied - Please contact your specialist for addtional information
  1. Sent and Confirmed accommodations status will display a Get letter link for you to download.
  2. Pending status requires additional actions from you.
  3. Denied status will require you to contact your Specialist for more details.

If you have any problems with the online portal, please call the Student Disability Center between the hours of 8am to noon, and 1pm to 4pm Monday through Friday.


Q: Are there other features available?

Currently there are no other features available within the web portal, but changes will be announced as they are available.

Q. What can I do if I have a question or concern?

If your question/concern is urgent you should contact us at (530) 752-3184 or sdc@ucdavis.edu. Otherwise you can click the 'Submit a comment' item in the menu to send us a question or comment.